Holland Hospital the Only Area Hospital With Perfect Five-Star Rating
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has released the overall ratings for Michigan hospitals. Holland Hospital was the only West Michigan hospital with a perfect five-star rating.
The overall rating includes 64 different measures divided into seven categories: mortality, safety of care, readmission, patient experience, effectiveness of care, timeliness of care, and efficient use of medical imaging. Some of the data comes from Medicare patients and some comes from all patients.
A sample of the 64 measures used for the ratings:
- Death rate for heart attack patients.
- Patients who reported that their nurses communicated well.
- Healthcare workers given influenza vaccination.
- Average (median) time patients spent in the emergency department, before they were admitted to the hospital as an inpatient.
- Rate of unplanned readmission after hip/knee surgery.
136 Michigan hospitals were rated. Only Holland Hospital, McLaren - Northern Michigan in Petoskey, Oaklawn Hospital in Marshall and St. Joseph Mercy in Chelsea earned five stars.