Home Fires In West Michigan On The Rise Due To Cold Temps
As the temperatures plummet, the risk of fire increases as residents try to keep their homes warm.
According the Grand Rapids Fire Department, it’s not always about space heaters being too close to curtains or clothing.
Fire officials are warning residents of circuit overloading being a fire hazard. Grand Rapids Fire Department investigator Bill Smith explained more about it to WOODTV:
“With the inclement weather and the low temperatures, people are using space heaters to heat their homes and we’re finding this is overtaxing their electrical systems… We see multiple plugs being used, multi-plug strips, extension cords. We see all sort of things.”
Smith goes on to say, if your breakers trip multiple times while a space heater is running, that’s a warning sign that your circuits may be overloaded and you should stop using the heater and/or unplug any and all other appliances.
Some other tips the Grand Rapids Fire Department recommends:
- Make sure that you remove anything that can burn from around furnaces, fireplace, space heaters and wood stoves
- Remember to turn off portable heaters when you leave a room or go to bed
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Make sure you have fresh batteries in your smoke detectors (and make sure they actually work!)