Last Chance to Have Taxes Prepared for Free
Tax Day is getting close, very close, Tuesday, April 18, as a matter of fact. No, it's not the 15th this year since that falls on a Saturday, so, yes, you have three extra days.
Are you waiting till the last minute, as thousand of others do? Why not take the worry out of filing and get some help, and get it for FREE?
You do have to qualify for the FREE preparation, but, hey, why not go for it. Anyone, or family, with an income under $57,000 qualifies!
IRS-certified tax preparers and accounting students from Davenport University, Aquinas College and Cornerstone University will be joined by community volunteers to provide free tax preparation services for people with incomes under $57,000 beginning today, April 14, 15, 17 and 18.
Each year, millions of dollars in tax refunds and credits go unclaimed by those who need them the most. Taking advantage of free tax preparation services helps West Michigan families receive tax refunds and credits that enable them to stay in their homes, feed their families, keep the lights on, and save for tomorrow, at the ACSET Community Action Tax Center, 121 Franklin St. SE Ste. 100, Grand Rapids, MI 49507.
The hours are today, Friday, April 14, 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.; Saturday, April 15, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; Monday, April 17, 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. and Tuesday, April 18, 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Tax assistance is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Make sure you bring the following paperwork with you:
- Picture ID and social security card for filer and spouse, social security cards for dependents.
- Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available.
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.
- Everything saying “important tax document” on it.
- Rent paid out-of-pocket, landlord’s name(s) and address or 2016 property taxes and the home’s taxable value.
- Home heating costs reported on the December – March 2016 utility bills.
If you qualify, take advantage of this great service. It will save you stress, time, and, money.