Surprising Foods You Should Never Feed Your Pet
Our pets are our children, but beware of some foods that you may not know are toxic!
VetStreet.com released the top 6 foods you should never give your pet, some of these are really surprising.
1. Chewing gum. If your goal is to freshen Fito's breath, try another method. Most sugar-free candies contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener, and it can be deadly for dogs. If you notice vomiting, lethargy and trouble with coordination you may want to get to the vet.
2. Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine. Most likely Fito will be okay if he chows down on a chocolate chip cookie, but you may want to head to the vet if he eats dark chocolate or baker's chocolate. There's a chemical in chocolate called theobromine that can be deadly to dogs.
3. Grapes and Raisins. This one was surprising to me, but these can cause kidney failure in your dog.
4. Avocados. Keep the dog away from the guacamole! Avocados are also poisonous to cats!
5. Garlic and Onions. These contain chemicals that can damage red blood cells in both cats and dogs. You're going to want to watch any other foods that might have these in them. Also, it's advised that you do not use garlic as a cure for fleas! It doesn't work and can kill your pet.
6. Macadamia Nuts. VetStreet.com reports that as few as 10 nuts can cause some scary symptoms in dogs, these include: weakness, vomiting, tremors and joint pain.