Want a Job with the City of Grand Rapids?
New Year, new job? If you're looking to make a career change in 2018, the City of Grand Rapids could be a good place to start.
Over 300 city workers are retiring in the next few years-- and that means job openings for you!
So what kind of jobs are they? And what do they pay?
Many of the jobs do require certain skill sets. Mari Beth Jelks managing director of Administrative Services, told WOOD-TV 8,
Skilled trades is one of the areas we really are suffering in because there’s a scarcity in the state of Michigan... We’re talking about electricians, mechanics... When we bring in new people and hire new people, they have to be multifaceted in their talents and capabilities and skills.”
Some jobs are entry level, while others require advanced degrees.
So let's dig into it. What jobs are open right now? (Requirements listed are the basic ones-- find out all the information by clicking on the position)
Here are some of the gigs available, at different salary levels:
- Code Compliance Supervisor $64K-$82K Requirements: Bachelor's degree, four years of experience in housing-related programs, administration, or code enforcement
- Transportation Planner $61K-$78K Bachelor's degree in transportation planning, traffic, engineering, urban planning and/or other related field, five years of supervisory experience
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic $42K-$57K Requirements:Graduation from high school and/or trade school with training in automotive or diesel engine repairs and technology, four years of experience in performing heavy equipment mechanical repair and maintenance, possession of a valid Michigan Commercial Driver's License
- Journeyman Lineworker $43K-$56K Requirements: Graduation from high school with courses in electricity and electronics, possession of State of Michigan Journeyman Electrician License.
- Archive Assistant $34K-$47K Requirements: Graduation from high school, two years of archival and/or records management experience, Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Library Assistant $19.66 - $21.26 hourly Requirements: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of training and experience, previous experience in a public library is desirable
- Public Works Maintenance, Grand Rapids Public Library $13.34- $14.43 hourly Requirements: Graduation from high school, five years of experience in building maintenance.