Your daily dose of whatever includes:
- All the Olympic madness you'll ever need!
- Weird Celeb Memorabilia
- These celebs have actually been able to make marriage LAST!
Winter Olympics Medal Count . . . The U.S. Is In Third Place
Going into day three of the Winter Olympics, the United States is in third place. Norway holds the top spot with 7 medals. And although we're tied for total medals with the Netherlands, their silver gives them the edge on us to take second place.
Here are the standings at the end of Sunday's competition.
1. Norway with 7 medals . . . 2 Gold, 1 Silver, and 4 Bronze.
2. The Netherlands with 4 medals . . . 2 Gold, 1 Silver, and 1 Bronze.
3. The United States with 4 medals . . . 2 Gold and 2 Bronze.
4. Canada with 4 medals . . . 1 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Bronze.
5. Russia with 4 medals . . . 1 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Bronze.
Our gold medals are both in snowboarding. Sage Kotsenburg won the men's slopestyle on Saturday. And Jamie Anderson won women's slopestyle yesterday.
As for our bronze medals, Team USA took third in free dance for the new team figure skating event, and Hannah Kearney took third place in ladies moguls skiing.
(You can check the updated medal counts at NBCOlympics.com.)
A U.S. Bobsledder Got Trapped in His Bathroom and Had to Smash a Hole in the Door to Get Out
An American bobsledder named Johnny Quinn got TRAPPED in his bathroom in Sochi on Saturday. He ended up having to SMASH a hole through the door to get out, and thanked his, quote, "bobsled push training" for allowing him to escape.
(Here's a photo of the door after Johnny smashed the hole in it.)
Opening Ceremony Chaos: Russia Screws Up the Olympic Rings, and NBC Edits Out an Anti-Discrimination Speech
Both NBC and Russian TV made controversial edits to the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on Friday. NBC cut out most of an anti-discrimination speech by the president of the International Olympic Committee. And Russia used rehearsal footage of a light show where snowflakes turned into the Olympic rings, because they malfunctioned at the actual event.
They defended their edit by saying they did leave in the key line, quote, "Olympic Games are always about building bridges to bring people together. Olympic Games are never about erecting walls to keep people apart." (Boston Globe / Deadspin)
The Woman Who Lit the Olympic Flame Once Tweeted a Racist Photo of President Obama . . . And She Sees Nothing Wrong With It
The Russian woman who lit the Olympic flame at the opening ceremony once Tweeted a pic featuring a Photoshopped BANANA in front of PRESIDENT OBAMA. The Tweet resurfaced over the weekend, but she made no apologies. She wrote, "Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups."
Her name is Irina Rodnina (pronounced Ireena Rod-Neena) and she's a three-time gold medal-winning figure skater. Last September she posted, and then deleted, a pic featuring a Photoshopped BANANA in front of Obama and his wife MICHELLE.
Since nothing on the Internet goes away forever, the Tweet was blasted everywhere over the weekend. But she's not apologizing. She Tweeted, "Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups."
Her lack of remorse didn't sit well with the U.S. ambassador to Russia. He said she's guilty of, quote, "outrageous behavior, which only brings shame to her Parliament and country." (The Guardian)
Olympic Randoms #1: The First Gay Medal Winner . . . a Snowboarder Is Flooded With Women's Naked Photos . . . and "Spoice"
Here are a few random things out of the Olympics for you. An openly gay athlete has already won a medal . . . a female speedskater from the Netherlands who won gold. And a Russian snowboarder put his phone number on his helmet during a qualifying event and has been flooded with NAKED PHOTOS.
1. There's a lot of controversy over Russia's anti-gay sentiment toward the Olympics. So this should shove it in their faces. An openly gay athlete has ALREADY won a medal in Sochi.
Ireen Wust of the Netherlands won a gold in speedskating yesterday. She's one of only seven openly gay athletes competing in these Olympics. (UPI)
2. 22-year-old Alexey Sobolev is a snowboarder for Russia in the Olympics. On Thursday, during a qualifying event, he put his PHONE NUMBER on his helmet. And that strategy DEFINITELY worked.
He says he's been FLOODED with calls and texts . . . including LOTS of photos of naked women. He says, quote, "I'm definitely going to call them." (ABC News) (The number is +7925022285 if you want to try to get in on this action.)
3. Sage Kotsenburg won a gold medal for the U.S. in slopestyle snowboarding this weekend, then NBC Tweeted a photo of him saying, quote, "Keep it spoice!"
What is "spoice"? According to Urban Dictionary, it's a snowboarding term that means, quote, "an exclamation of gratitude toward life . . . when you find yourself in a situation involving a multitude of positive things at once." Now you know? (Auburn Pub)
1. Is American Olympic figure skater ASHLEY WAGNER the new MCKAYLA MARONEY? McKayla became a social media sensation during the 2012 Summer Olympics, with the "not impressed" look she gave after winning a silver medal.
On Saturday, Ashley was not only "not impressed" with her scores, she was OUTRAGED. She made an obvious "This is B.S." face. Then she looked at someone and mouthed the word "B.S." . . . but the FULL version.
2. Russia may be intensely homophobic . . . but they reached out to the gay community, unintentionally, with a fun and campy cover of DAFT PUNK'S "Get Lucky" by the Russian Police Choir during the Opening Ceremonies.
3. RollingStone.com put out a list of Eight Standout Moments From the Olympics Opening Ceremony . . . and it highlights some of the more ridiculous moments from Sochi's first night . . .
Including the malfunctioning Olympic rings . . . and the Russian Olympic team ironically entering the stadium to a performance by T.A.T.U., the female duo who, for some reason, pretended they were lesbians for the beginning of their career.
Watch Justin Bieber Get Searched By Police After His January Arrest
Video of JUSTIN BIEBER being searched after he was arrested in Miami last month hit the web over the weekend. And Justin's lawyers don't want any more of it released. They told a judge there's video that shows, quote, "intimate personal parts" of Justin's body.
The cop makes Justin put his hands down on a counter, while he checks him out from behind. He even manhandles Justin a little bit. (Check it out here.)
Speaking of Justin's arrest, TMZ got a hold of the GPS records for his rented Lamborghini, and he was hitting speeds of up to 136 miles per hour in the hours before his arrest. (You can read more about that here.)
Woody Allen Responds to the Molestation Allegations . . . And Blames Mia Farrow
WOODY ALLEN responded this weekend to the allegations that he molested his daughter. He accuses MIA FARROW of making the whole thing up to get him back for having an affair with her adopted daughter SOON-YI PREVIN. He also says this is the last time he or anyone who represents him will talk about it.
Eight Weird Pieces of Celebrity Memorabilia
Eight Weird Pieces of Celebrity Memorabilia include Scarlett Johansson's dirty tissue, John Lennon's tooth, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's breath, and James Blunt's sister.
The Huffington Post has a list of the Eight Weirdest Pieces of Celebrity Memorabilia Ever Sold. That might be exaggerating things a little bit, but these are all pretty off the wall . . .
Justin Bieber's Hair. After Justin cut his hair in 2011, Ellen DeGeneres put a lock of it in a signed box and sold on eBay. It went for $40,668, and the proceeds were donated to an animal rescue foundation.
Scarlett Johansson's dirty tissue. Scarlett sneezed into a tissue after catching a cold from Samuel L. Jackson. Then she signed it and sold it for $5,300. Again, the money went to charity.
Justin Timberlake's leftovers. This was back in 2000, when 'N SYNC was still together. Justin was eating during a morning interview on a New York radio station, and he left some toast behind. The station auctioned it off for $1,025.
Gary Coleman's Gap Kids Sweatpants. Even as an adult, Gary Coleman was still shopping at Gap Kids. An autographed pair of his sweats went for 500 bucks in 2008. The buyer was Jimmy Kimmel.
Britney Spears' positive pregnancy test. Britney found out she was knocked up in early 2005 by taking a pregnancy test at a Los Angeles hotel. Someone found it while rooting through her garbage and became richer by a sum of $5,001. The Internet gambling site GoldenPalace.com bought it.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's breath. In 2005, somebody actually made $523 by selling an EMPTY JAR that was supposedly capped off in Brad and Angelina's presence, thus ensuring that it contained, quote, "air molecules that came in direct contact" with them.
James Blunt's sister. About 10 years ago, James' sister needed to get from England to Ireland for a funeral, but the planes were on strike and the ferry was out of season. So he "sold" the opportunity on eBay.
He put up a listing saying a "damsel in distress", needed a ride. The winning bidder was a guy who had his own helicopter. There's no word how much he paid, but three years later, he and James' sister were MARRIED.
John Lennon's tooth. In the '60s, Lennon gave an extracted molar to a housekeeper, and said she should give it to her daughter as a souvenir. In 2011, the family sold it for $31,200.
The guy who bought it is a dentist who says he's going to CLONE Lennon when technology allows.
Sexy Pictures of Famous People
1. Some basic laws of physics had to have been broken to keep MARIAH CAREY from popping out of her dress at the BET Honors this weekend.
3. You know that expression about legs going on forever? NAYA RIVERA'S got that going for her.
4. STEPHANIE SEYMOUR posed in lingerie for "Harper's Bazaar" . . . with her SONS, who are 20 and 17.
5. Here's CHARLIZE THERON and SEAN PENN making out in his car at a stoplight.
6. Sexy Video: JAY Z filmed BEYONCÉ jumping off the top of a yacht.
20 Celebrity Marriages That Have Actually Lasted
The "Huffington Post" has put together a list of 20 Celebrity Marriages That Have Actually Lasted, and it includes: Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson . . . Bono and Ali Hewson . . . Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick . . . and Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who are currently SEPARATED.
1. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, 25 years. This is subjective, but we're awarding them the top spot, for having what APPEARS to be a perfect marriage, without there even being rumors of any problems.
2. Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan, 25 years. It takes a strong marriage to deal with something like Parkinson's disease, and Michael has said he doesn't think he'd be alive without Tracy.
3. Bono and Ali Hewson, 31 years. Bono has essentially gone from an unknown musician to arguably the biggest rock star on the PLANET during their marriage, and it's still going strong.
4. Christopher Guest and Jamie Lee Curtis, 29 years. This isn't the most high-profile of celebrity marriages, but this year, it'll be 30 years, so that's notable.
5. Sting and Trudie Styler, 21 years. Would it be too easy to chalk-up their 20-plus years to their infamous appreciation for tantric sex?
6. Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, 25 years. With all the ladies who are within six degrees of Kevin, the fact that he and Kyra have remained so strong is impressive. Maybe it helps that they're actually distant cousins?
7. David Bowie and Iman, 21 years. David Bowie's sexuality had always seemed, well, vague. So perhaps it's surprising that his love for Iman has stayed so un-ambiguous for so long.
8. David E. Kelley and Michelle Pfeiffer, 20 years. You never really hear anything about their marriage, which is a good thing, I guess.
9. Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa, 17 years. There's been a goofy tabloid claim or two about an issue in their marriage, but nothing of any substance. However, it was probably a good thing Mark didn't get the daytime co-hosting gig with Kelly.
10. Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor, 13 years. Is a 13-year marriage worth this much praise? For a celebrity, yeah.
11. Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani, 11 years. They're expecting their third child together.
12. John Travolta and Kelly Preston, 22 years. It takes a lot to overcome the loss of a child. It's been five years since Jett's tragic death and as far as we know they're still happily married. Kelly gave birth to their third child a year after losing Jett.
13. Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker, 16 years. They don't address their marriage much, or the tabloid claims about its troubles, but last year, Sarah said she LOVED Matthew, and they're making a point by not discussing their private lives.
14. Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith, 17 years. There's been some speculation that their marriage is on the rocks, because Melanie isn't aging all that gracefully, and Antonio may be looking for some new action.
15. Warren Beatty and Annette Bening, 21 years. They get a slight demerit because there's been talk that they don't see eye to eye on their transgender son.
16. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, 17 years. There's been a lot of talk in the trashy magazines about their marriage crumbling.
17. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett, 16 years. In addition to being hounded by tabloid reports of their demise, some people have said that the marriage was a way for BOTH of them to hide their alternate sexualities.
18. Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman, 32 years. They got back together last year after separating in 2012.
19. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, 31 years. They separated last year after Ozzy fell off the wagon, but they reunited after he got his act together.
20. Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, 13 years. Technically, they're still separated, although they've been spotted together recently, and there's been talk that they're patching things up.
"The LEGO Movie" Topped the Box Office with $69 Million
"The LEGO Movie" had the best opening weekend so far this year. It earned just over $69 million in its first three days of release, which easily surpassed analysts' expectations of $50 million.
GEORGE CLOONEY'S World War II movie "The Monuments Men" came in second place with $22.7 million . . . while the teen fantasy "Vampire Academy" didn't do much of anything, earning just $4.1 million in 7th place.
Here are this week's Top 10 movies:
1. (NEW) "The LEGO Movie", $69.1 million.
2. (NEW) "The Monuments Men", $22.7 million.
3. "Ride Along", $9.4 million. Up to $105 million in its 4th week.
4. "Frozen", $6.9 million. Up to $369 million in its 12th week.
5. "That Awkward Moment", $5.5 million. Up to $16.8 million in its 2nd week.
6. "Lone Survivor", $5.3 million. Up to $113 million in its 7th week.
7. (NEW) "Vampire Academy", $4.1 million.
8. "The Nut Job", $3.8 million. Up to $55.1 million in its 4th week.
9. "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit", $3.6 million. Up to $44.5 million in its 4th week.
10. "Labor Day", $3.2 million. Up to $10.2 million in its 2nd week.
"X Factor" Has Been Canceled, and Simon Cowell Is Retreating Back to Britain
SIMON COWELL is retreating back across the pond . . . at least for the time bring. Fox just canceled "X Factor" after three disappointing seasons. Simon says, quote, "For now, I'm back to the U.K. [to return to the British 'X Factor'] . . . America, I'll see you soon!"
Monday TV Reminders:
• "Primetime Olympics Coverage" . . . from 8:00 to 11:00 P.M. on NBC. Monday's events include the finals in freestyle skiing for the men's moguls and the men's 1500m short track . . . plus the women's super-combined Alpine skiing.
• "Inside Comedy" . . . 11:00 to 11:30 P.M. on Showtime. Jonah Hill and Alan Arkin are this week's interview guests.
Tonight's Late Night Talk Shows:
Olympics Note: "Carson Daly" and "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" are pre-empted for Olympic coverage all week. Jimmy takes over on "The Tonight Show" February 17th.
• "Letterman" - Kevin Hart, Mo Rocca, and The Orwells. (Repeat)
• "Jimmy Kimmel" - Julia Roberts, Joel Kinnaman, and Eric Church.
• "Arsenio" - TBA
• "Conan" - Martin Scorsese and Rock Candy Funk Party.
• "Craig Ferguson" - Julie Chen and golfer Bubba Watson.
• "Chelsea Lately" - Sharon Osbourne.
• "Jon Stewart" - Ty Burrell from "Modern Family".
• "The Colbert Report" - Patrick Kennedy.
Today's Showbiz Minute: Leno and Fallon Pulled in Big Ratings . . . Miley Cyrus Turned Down a Prom Offer . . . and More
1. JAY LENO'S final episode of "The Tonight Show" . . . at least for now . . . attracted 14.6 million viewers. It was the show's biggest audience since May of 1998, when JERRY SEINFELD was a guest on the night of the "Seinfeld" finale. That one had just under 15 million viewers.
Meanwhile, JIMMY FALLON drew a record 6.6 million viewers on Friday, for his final episode of "Late Night". Jimmy signed off by covering THE BAND'S "The Weight" . . . with help from THE MUPPETS. (Here's video.)
2. Remember how that guy invited MILEY CYRUS to his prom, with a video that included him standing NAKED and covering his naughty parts with a foam finger? Well, Miley has turned him down, but she has a counter-offer.
She Tweeted, quote, "Dear Matt Peterson, I don't think I'll be able to make it to prom, but why don't you come to my [Arizona] show and hang with me? Don't forget a corsage." It seems like Matt has accepted.
3. KIEFER SUTHERLAND'S character on "24", Jack Bauer, wouldn't have had time to watch TV . . . and as it turns out, neither does Kiefer. At least, for his own shows.
Kiefer says, quote, "I haven't watched an episode of '24' . . . But I know how it goes, I have read the script."
Five Random Facts For Monday
1. The first self-made female millionaire in the U.S. was black. Her name was Madam C.J. Walker and she died in 1919, shortly after becoming a millionaire selling beauty and hair products specifically designed for black women.
2. The lead role in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" was originally offered to . . . RICK MORANIS. He turned it down and it went to JIM CARREY.
3. The domino in the Domino's Pizza logo has three dots representing the company's THREE locations in 1969. They planned to add a dot for every new location . . . but they expanded way too fast to keep up. Now they have about 10,000 locations.
4. In 1982, "People" magazine reported that 61-year-old ABE VIGODA had died. They were wrong then . . . and they're wrong now. He's still alive, at age 92.
5. The phrase "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" comes from a LORD TENNYSON poem from 1849 called "In Memoriam A.H.H." It's NOT about romantic love . . . he was mourning a friend's death.
70% of Women Would Rather Get a Gift for Valentine's Day Than Sex
According to a new survey, 70% of women would rather get a GIFT for Valentine's Day than sex. Men are the opposite . . . 68% of men would rather have sex than get a Valentine's Day present.
The Ten Cities With the Most Heartbreak
A new study has found the U.S. cities with the MOST HEARTBREAK, based on stuff like how long the average marriage lasts, the number of dating services, and STD rates. The top five are Chicago . . . Miami . . . New York . . . Riverside, California . . . and Houston.
3. New York.
4. Riverside, California.
8. Los Angeles.
10. San Diego. (Credit Donkey)
The Ten Small Things That Matter Most in a Relationship
According to a new poll, the top SMALL things that mean a lot in a relationship include kissing goodbye each morning, randomly saying "I love you," giving a gift for no reason, date nights, and sending flirty text messages.
You're More Likely to Remember Ugly Faces Than Beautiful Ones?
According to a new study, you're more likely to remember UGLY FACES than BEAUTIFUL ONES. The main reason is that less attractive faces have things about them that are UNIQUE . . . while in most cases, attractive faces are pretty generic.
If You Could See One Statistic About Yourself, What Would It Be?
If you could see one statistic about yourself, what would you choose? Some of our favorite ones are the number of times you've been right and wrong in arguments . . . how many people actually love you . . . and the number of people who've imagined having sex with you.
Chloe Moretz is 17. She made her name through lots of swearin' and murderin' in the movie "Kick-Ass". She also had the starring role in the "Carrie" remake and played a vampire in "Let Me In".
Bailey Jean Cypher is 17. The confused daughter of Julie Cypher and Melissa Etheridge . . . AND David Crosby!
Emma Roberts is 23. One of the main witches on "American Horror Story: Coven". She's the niece of Julia Roberts . . . and the daughter of ERIC ROBERTS.
Elizabeth Banks is 40. Effie Trinket in the "Hunger Games" movies. She's also Laura Bush in "W.", Miri in "Zack and Miri Make a Porno", and . . .
Beth, the girl in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" who gets excited when Steve Carell asks if she's got a big trunk 'cause he's gonna put his bike in it.
Laura Dern is 47. Billy Bob Thornton left her for Angelina Jolie. She went on to enjoy taboo interracial lovemaking with Ben Harper. But now THEY'RE divorced.
Glenn Beck is 50. Sweet, lucrative rhetoric.
China Lee is 50. Asiatic mattress actress who's been in 94 fine films, including "Yin Yang Oriental Love Bang 2", "2 Wongs Make a White" AND "Backdoor Asians"!
Greg Norman is 59. The Shark.
Mark Spitz is 64. Winner of SEVEN Gold medals in swimming at the 1972 Olympics . . . and he set WORLD RECORDS in all seven events.
Roberta Flack is 77. Her biggest smashes include "Killing Me Softly", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "The Closer I Get to You" and "Where is the Love".
Robert Wagner is 84. DiNozzo's dad on "NCIS", Dr. Evil's henchman, Number Two, in "Austin Powers" . . . AND Jonathan Hart on "Hart To Hart"!
He was once married to Natalie Wood. She drowned. If he had anything to do with it, he got away with it. Twice.
Cliff Burton (1962 - 1986) Metallica's original bassist. He died when their tour bus flipped over during their 1986 European tour. He was only 24.
Lon Chaney Jr. (1906 - 1973) The original "Wolfman".
Jimmy Durante (1893 - 1980) Well-schnauzed superstar.
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 4 days to Valentine's Day
• 7 days to Fallon's "Tonight Show"
• 14 days until "The Voice" returns
• 20 days to the Oscars
• 27 days to Daylight Savings
• 1,075 days left of "Hope and Change"
168 years ago . . . in 1846 - The MORMONS began their exodus from Illinois to Utah. It was a long bike ride.
151 years ago . . . in 1863 - P.T. BARNUM staged the wedding of GENERAL TOM THUMB and Mercy Lavinia Warren, both "vertically challenged" people, in New York City. The tiny couple had to stand on a piano to greet their guests. Little people like to get-it-on, too, ya know.
58 years ago . . . in 1956 - ELVIS PRESLEY made his first recording in Nashville. "Heartbreak Hotel" was the A-side; "I Was The One" was the B-side.
36 years ago . . . in 1978 - VAN HALEN'S DEBUT ALBUM WAS RELEASED! The self-titled LP has sold over 10 million copies in the U.S. . . . and contains the monster jams "You Really Got Me", "Runnin' With The Devil", "Jamie's Cryin'" and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"!
35 years ago . . . in 1979 - DIRE STRAITS' MASTERPIECE, "SULTANS OF SWING", WAS RELEASED.
27 years ago . . . in 1987 - Biblically bearded Surgeon General C. EVERETT KOOP told a House panel he supported TV ads for PROPHYLACTICS because of the health threat posed by AIDS.
22 years ago . . . in 1992 - MIKE TYSON was convicted of raping Desiree Washington, a Miss Black America contestant.
21 years ago . . . in 1993 - MICHAEL JACKSON dispelled the, quote, "god-awful rumors including bleaching my skin." In a 90-minute TV interview with OPRAH, He said his "whiteness" was caused by a disorder that destroys skin pigmentation called vitiligo.
21 years ago . . . in 1993 - GARRY KASPAROV, arguably the greatest chess player of all time, was defeated by IBM supercomputer Deep Blue.
14 years ago . . . in 2000 - JIM VARNEY, the master thespian who starred in 14 "Ernest" movies . . . and did the voice of Slinky Dog in "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" . . . died of cancer at 50. (In "Toy Story 3", Slinky was voiced by BLAKE CLARK.)
(Blake's a character actor you've probably seen in a bunch of different things, including "The Waterboy" where he played Farmer Fran, the backwoods Cajun assistant to Coach Kline. I especially enjoyed his nipple rings.)
Nine years ago . . . in 2005 - TOM SIZEMORE was arrested for using a PROSTHETIC PENIS . . . THE WHIZZINATOR! . . . to try to pass a drug test. He was sentenced to 17 months in prison and then another four months in a drug treatment program.
Six years ago . . . in 2008 - "Jaws" superstar ROY SCHEIDER died of cancer at the age of 75.