Your daily dose of Whatever!
Showbiz Hero of the Day: Jada Pinkett Has Gained 8 to 10 Pounds, And She's Happy About It
JADA PINKETT saw a recent picture of herself in which she could tell she'd gained 8 to 10 pounds, and she LIKED IT. She said, quote, "I like being a lil . . . fuller. Let's just hope it will fit in The Oscars dress. Here's to loving our bodies by our own standards."
Robin Thicke Wants Paula Patton Back
ROBIN THICKE isn't keeping his feelings inside. The paparazzi asked him if he and PAULA PATTON are going to work things out, and he said he's, quote, "just trying to get her back, man."
The cameraman asked Robin if his "VMA" performance with MILEY CYRUS caused the split. At first he didn't answer, but when asked a second time he said, "No." (Here's video. And here's Paula completely ignoring the paparazzi.)
Meanwhile . . . a very unreliable website says that Paula's "2 Guns" co-star DENZEL WASHINGTON has been her shoulder to cry on . . . and maybe even MORE than that. (Read more about that here. For the record, Denzel is married too.)
David Arquette's Girlfriend Won't Let Him Name Their Baby "Astro"
DAVID ARQUETTE'S girlfriend Christina McLarty might be slightly more on-the-ball than he is. Because she's already put her foot down concerning the name of the baby boy they're expecting this spring.
David says he wanted to name the kid ASTRO, because he thought "Astro Arquette" was, quote, "an amazing name." But Christina wouldn't have it. David already has a daughter with ex-wife COURTENEY COX. The poor girl is named COCO.
Katy Perry Celebrated Her Split from John Mayer . . . By Delivering a Baby?
KATY PERRY hasn't commented on her rumored split from JOHN MAYER . . . but she has announced that she helped deliver her sister's baby. She Tweeted, quote, "Finally you can add 'helps delivers babies in living rooms' to my resume! It's been a miracle of a day . . . Auntie Katy."
Technically, it's unclear whose baby it was . . . but it sounds like it was her older sister's. We also don't know whether this was an emergency situation or some kind of new age-y home birth.
As for Katy and John, a so-called "insider" tells "Us" magazine the split was, quote, "mutual" and "extremely amicable." Supposedly, they just, quote, "made the mature decision that it was the right time" to call it quits.
1. A website seems to think that when you add a mustache to RIHANNA, she looks like PRINCE. Do you agree?
2. Will "The Bachelor" pick NIKKI FERRELL? Based on these 2012 modeling pictures, I don't see why he wouldn't.
3. BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH has kind of a long neck. I feel a meme coming on.
4. And now, a gallery of celebrity couples with "Dumb & Dumber" hair. The funny thing is, they gave the JIM CARREY bowl cut to the women . . . and it actually WORKS on a lot of them.
5. Let's hope SNOOP DOGG'S nail art doesn't start a trend with guys.
6. JULIA ROBERTS is up for an Oscar on Sunday. Check out a picture of her when she was a FIRST-TIME nominee in 1990, for "Steel Magnolias".
7. MILEY CYRUS kissed another girl. Her name is BROOKE CANDY, and she's a white rapper on Miley's record label.
8. Just in case you were wondering, SCOTT EASTWOOD is still ridiculously hot. And he proves it in a photo shoot for some magazine called "Man of the World".
9. (NC-17) KATE MOSS shows her naked butt on the cover of France's "Lui" magazine.
10. ALEC BALDWIN wolfed down a hot dog on the set of "Law & Order: SVU".
Jamie Lee Curtis Helped Out a Friend Who Overdosed
JAMIE LEE CURTIS and another woman called 911 after a female friend suffered a possible overdose in the backseat of Jamie's car. The woman reportedly had a violent reaction to a mixture of medication and alcohol. She was treated at a hospital and released after a few hours.
Someone Is Creating Salami Grown from the Tissue of Celebrities?
A company called "Bitelabs" claims that they're going to create meat, which will be "grown" using tissue samples from celebrities. (???) Clearly, this sounds like a joke . . . but the company insists that they're serious. If it IS somehow legit, there's no indication that any celebrities are onboard yet.
10 Celebrities Who Came to Regret Their Tattoos
1. Johnny Depp had his "Winona Forever" tattoo changed to "Wino Forever" after he and Winona Ryder split up.
2. Charlie Sheen removed the "Denise" tattoo on his wrist after he and Denise Richards split up. She also had a "Charlie" tattoo on her ankle, which she's since had re-worked.
3. Heidi Klum had to have her Seal tattoo lasered off after they broke up.
4. Eva Longoria had to deal with multiple tattoos after she and Tony Parker split, including his jersey number, their wedding date, and his initials, which were tattooed in a "private location."
5. Former Spice Girl Mel B has had several tattoos removed . . . including the "Eddie" one she had on her hip for Eddie Murphy.
6. Marc Anthony had his "Jennifer" tattoo worked into a tattoo of the Statue of Liberty after he broke up with Jennifer Lopez. The Statue of Liberty was a tribute to another girlfriend, and now they've broken up. As far as we know, he still has it.
7. Angelina Jolie had "Billy Bob" tattooed on her arm for her then-husband Billy Bob Thornton. But she's had it replaced with the coordinates of the birthplaces of her kids. Billy Bob also had his "Angelina" tattoo tweaked to say "Angel."
8. Kathy Griffin had a wedding ring tattooed on her finger when she married Matt Moline . . . and after they divorced, she's tried to have it lasered off five times, but it won't come off.
9. Nick Carter got a "Paris" tattoo on his wrist during a fling with Paris Hilton . . . and she had his name tattooed on her backside. Both have since been lasered off.
10. Roseanne Barr and Tom Arnold got multiple tattoos honoring each other . . . Tom even had Roseanne's head tattooed on his CHEST. Tom's tattoos have been removed, while Roseanne disguised hers.
"Son of God" and Liam Neeson's "Non-Stop" Are in Theaters
It's essentially the New Testament part of the History channel series "The Bible", but in an extended movie version. Portuguese actor Diogo Morgado is Jesus, and "Touched By An Angel's" Roma Downey is Mary.
Downey co-produced it with her husband, "Survivor" dictator Mark Burnett, and they're both deeply religious. So, basically they treat the material with more reverence and respect than is typical of modern Hollywood.
That gives their movie a good chance of doing as well as Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ". . . which earned $612 million worldwide back in 2004. They've also got a 12-part sequel to "The Bible" in the works that'll air on NBC sometime next year.
It's also the first new movie about Jesus in 10 years. Unless you count that 2006 box office flop "The Nativity Story", which failed after Christians found out that Keisha Castle-Hughes, the unmarried actress playing the Virgin Mary, got herself knocked up.
Liam Neeson plays an air marshal on a transatlantic flight, who gets anonymous text messages threatening to kill a passenger every 20 minutes unless the airline hands over $150 million. Julianne Moore is the passenger seated next to him.
The rest of the cast includes Anson Mount from AMC's "Hell on Wheels" as the other air marshal onboard, plus Michelle Dockery from "Downton Abbey" and Lupita Nyong'o from "12 Years a Slave" as two of the flight attendants.
By the way, someone remade the "Non-Stop" trailer, using nothing but LEGOS . . . which is unintentionally amusing since Liam Neeson plays a character with a split personality called Good Cop / Bad Cop in "The Lego Movie".
Anthony Mackie plays an author and spiritual advisor taken captive by one of his "fans", played by Forest Whitaker. He's haunted by the ghost of his dead mother and losing his grip on his sanity, so he decides to terrorize Mackie's family for their sins.
The Latest Odds on Sunday's Oscars
"12 Years a Slave", 2-to-5
"American Hustle", 4-to-1
Matthew McConaughey for "Dallas Buyers Club", 1-to-2
Chiwetel Ejiofor for "12 Years a Slave", 4-to-1
Leonardo DiCaprio for "The Wolf of Wall Street", 5-to-1
Cate Blanchett for "Blue Jasmine", 1-to-5
Sandra Bullock for "Gravity", 10-to-1
Amy Adams for "American Hustle", 18-to-1
Best Supporting Actor:
Jared Leto for "Dallas Buyers Club", 1-to-4
Michael Fassbender for "12 Years a Slave", 5-to-1
Barkhad Abdi for "Captain Phillips", 15-to-1
Best Supporting Actress:
Lupita Nyongo for "12 Years a Slave", 4-to-5
Jennifer Lawrence for "American Hustle", 8-to-5
June Squibb for "Nebraska", 15-to-1
Alfonso Cuaron for "Gravity", 1-to-3
Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave", 4-to-1
Martin Scorsese, "The Wolf of Wall Street", 15-to-1
Weekend TV Reminders:
• "Dateline" . . . Friday from 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. on NBC. A look at the trial of Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic athlete charged with murdering his South African girlfriend.
• "Raising Hope" . . . Friday from 9:30 to 10:00 P.M. on Fox. Tommy Chong plays Maw Maw's reckless new boyfriend.
• "Hannibal" [2nd Season Premiere] . . . Friday from 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on NBC.
• "Betty White's Off Their Rockers" [3rd Season Premiere] . . . Friday from 10:00 to 11:00 P.M. on Lifetime.
• "Inside Job" [Series Premiere] . . . 9:00 to 10:00 P.M. on TNT. Four job candidates live together as they compete for a six-figure salary. But one secret insider already works for the company, and is reporting on the others to the boss.
• "Deion's Family Playbook" [Series Premiere] . . . Saturday from 10:00 to 0:00 P.M. on OWN. A reality show about Deion Sanders raising five kids as a single father . . . coaching football at the charter school he cofounded . . . and helping to raise five OTHER kids who are living under his roof.
• "The 86th Academy Awards" . . . Sunday LIVE from 8:30 to 11:30 P.M. Eastern on ABC. Ellen DeGeneres is the host. You'll find all the nominees here.
• "Jimmy Kimmel: After the Oscars" .airs immediately after the broadcast. Check your local listings for the exact time in your area. Some of the people he talks to include Kevin Spacey, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Chris Hemsworth, and Ellen DeGeneres.
• "The Walking Dead" . . . Sunday from 9:00 to 10:00 P.M. on AMC.
Tonight's Late Night Talk Shows:
• "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" - Cameron Diaz, Mike Tyson, and chef Mario Batali.
• "Late Night with Seth Meyers" - Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, and "Chicago PD" minx Sophia Bush.
• "Letterman" - Jack Hanna and comedian Jake Johannsen.
• "Jimmy Kimmel" - Jonah Hill, and "Duck Dynasty's" Willie & Korie Robertson. Music Guest: New Politics.
• "Carson Daly" - Ben Schwartz ("House Of Lies") and Adult Swim's Jacob Escobedo. Music Guest: French singer Soko.
• "Arsenio" - Jada Pinkett Smith. PLUS: Isaac Lufkin, the high school football kicker with no arms.
• "Craig Ferguson" - Sarah Chalke.
• "Chelsea Lately" - Kurt Russell. (Repeat)
The Most Popular Artists in Each State
A new report shows the most-streamed musical act in each state over the past year. JAY Z is #1 in 20 states . . . and ALL of them are in the Eastern half of the U.S. MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS is next, carrying 11 states . . . followed by DRAKE with eight.
Five Random Facts For Friday
1. Women take more selfies than men until age 40 . . . after age 40, men are more likely to take pictures of themselves. The theory is that 40 is the point where women get more insecure about how they look in photos and men get almost TOO secure.
2. ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER got paid $75,000 for "Terminator" . . . and $15 million for "Terminator 2" seven years later.
3. In China, cops prefer GUARD GEESE over guard dogs . . . because geese are more territorial and have better eyesight.
4. JOHN STEINBECK was late turning in his manuscript for "Of Mice and Men" . . . because his DOG ate an early draft.
5. Pigeons have an incredible ability to remember human faces. In fact, if you chase or feed a pigeon even once, it will remember you in the future.
14% of Us Think Breaking a Mirror Means Seven Years of Bad Luck . . . And Nine Other Stats About Superstition
According to a new survey, 33% of us think picking up a penny is good luck, 23% think the number seven is lucky, 20% think walking under a ladder is unlucky, and 14% think breaking a mirror brings you seven years of bad luck.
1. 33% of us think picking up a penny brings you good luck.
2. 24% think it's bad luck for a groom to see his bride before the wedding.
3. 23% think the number seven is lucky, but just 12% think the number 13 is unlucky.
4. 21% believe knocking on wood prevents bad luck, and 13% think throwing spilled salt over your shoulder does too.
5. 20% think walking under a ladder is unlucky.
6. 14% believe it's unlucky to open an umbrella indoors.
7. 14% say you're more likely to experience bad luck on Friday the 13th.
8. 14% think breaking a mirror brings you seven years of bad luck.
9. 13% think black cats are unlucky.
10. And 7% think stepping on a crack is bad luck.
The survey also found that women tend to be slightly more superstitious than men. And Democrats are more likely to be superstitious than Republicans. (Harris)
People Would Rather Give Up Facebook Than Their Landlines?
Americans are NOT as technologically sophisticated as the media says. In a new survey, 28% of people with landline phones say it would be very hard to give up their landlines . . . only 11% of people say it would be very hard to give up social media. Also, 10% of Americans don't own a phone and 32% use an old-fashioned non-smart phone.
. (Pew Internet)
Here's Why You Should Wear Something Strange to a Job Interview
A new study out of Harvard University found that people who dress a little bit OFFBEAT for job interviews are more likely to get the job than people who dress traditionally. The main reasons are you stand out, you show you're creative, you show you're a nonconformist, and you show you're confident.
If You Didn't Have to Worry About Money, Would You Still Want a Full-Time Job?
If you didn't have to worry about money, would you still want a full-time job? In a new survey, 44% of men and 42% of women say . . . YES, they'd still work full-time even if they didn't need the money.
Three Secrets to Get People to Read Your Emails
Want to get people to actually read your emails? A new study found three secrets to make it happen. Make your subject line six to 10 words long . . . put the person's first name in the subject . . . and think about using a movie title or song lyric in the subject.
1. Make the subject six to 10 words long. Your next best bet is to keep the subject line under five words. Don't ever go over 20 words.
2. Put the person's first name in the subject line.
3. And think about using a MOVIE TITLE or SONG LYRIC in the subject line. Emails with movies or lyrics in the subject line were almost twice as likely to get opened as other emails.
What Was Your Worst Attempt at Hitting on Someone . . . That Actually Worked?
What was your worst attempt at hitting on someone that actually worked? Two of our favorites are a guy who asked a waitress at Red Lobster, 'So, do you come here often?' and ended up getting her number . . . and a woman who threw her lighter at a guy to get his attention, hit him hard in the head, and started a nine-year relationship.
A Talking Parrot Helped Police Solve a Murder
Last week, a 45-year-old woman in India was found murdered. Police didn't have any leads, until they found out the woman's pet PARROT would start going crazy whenever the woman's nephew was around. They questioned the nephew . . . and he confessed to the murder.
A Kid's Father and Stepfather Get Into a Brawl at His Kindergarten Play
On Tuesday night, a kid's father AND stepfather both showed up for his kindergarten play . . . which was bad news. During the play they started yelling at each other . . . then started BRAWLING. Two other parents there were off-duty cops who broke up the fight. And both men were charged with disturbing the peace.
Sarah Bolger is 23. Princess Aurora on "Once Upon a Time" and Mary Tudor on "The Tudors".
Karolina Kurkova is 30. Sexy Victoria's Secret model from Czechoslovakia.
Ice La Fox is 31. Latina mattress actress who's starred in 302 fine films, including "Mami Culo Grande", "Burritho's", AND "2 Ho's and a Bro".
Jason Aldean is 37. Country superstar who got caught trying to "get up in" "American Idol" reject Brittany Kerr. Not to worry though, his wife forgave him . . . on national TV.
Ali Larter is 38. She was in the first two "Final Destination" movies and the last two "Resident Evil" flicks . . . not to mention "Heroes". But to me she'll always be the chick who wears the whipped cream bikini in "Varsity Blues".
Amanda Abbington is 40. Watson's bride Mary on the BBC's "Sherlock".
Robert Sean Leonard is 45. House's only real friend, Dr. James Wilson on "House". He also played Neil Perry, the guy who commits suicide in "Dead Poet's Society".
(He also nailed Gwyneth Paltrow before nailing Gwyneth Paltrow was cool. Not that nailing Gwyneth Paltrow ever BECAME cool. I'm just sayin'.)
Pat Monahan is 45. Lead singer of Train.
Rae Dawn Chong is 53. Tommy Chong's interracially taboo daughter!
Cindy Wilson is 57. B-52's MINX!
John Turturro is 57. Supreme character actor: Pete in "O Brother Where Art Thou"; JESUS THE PEDERAST IN "THE BIG LEBOWSKI"; Pino in "Do the Right Thing", and Seymour Simmons in the "Transformers" movies.
Gilbert Gottfried is 59. At this point, no one under 18 would really think of him as anything but the voice of Jafar's parrot in "Aladdin". He used to be the Aflac duck, but he got FIRED from that gig for making a joke about the Japanese earthquake.
BERNADETTE PETERS is 66. THICK-CHESTED MINX WITH FIRE DOWN BELOW! (She was the inspiration for Steve Martin's "THERMOS SONG" in "The Jerk". Can YOU say that?)
Frank Bonner is 72. Sales-scum Herb Tarlek on "WKRP in Cincinnati".
Mario Andretti is 74. Racing legend.
COCKY MAZZETTI! is 76. He's the star of the 1964 classic "Canzoni bulli e pupe"! Actually, I just like saying Cocky Mazzetti.
Dean Smith is 83. University of North Carolina coaching legend who finished his career with 879 wins over his entire 36-year college basketball career.
GAVIN MACLEOD! is 83. Beautifully bald Captain Stubing on "The Love Boat".
Bubba Smith (1945 - 2011) NFL legend AND Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies! He would have been 68 today.
Charles Durning (1923 - 2012) One of the all-time great character actors! The singing Governor in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", Governor Pappy O'Daniel in "O Brother, Where Art Thou" and the evil DOC HOPPER in "The Muppet Movie"!
Brian Jones (1942 - 1969) Drowned Rolling Stones guitarist.
Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel - (1906 - 1947) Jewish gangster responsible for Las Vegas.
Countdown to Upcoming Events
• 2 days to the Oscars
• 9 days to Daylight Savings
• 17 days to St. Patrick's Day
• 32 days to April Fool's Day
• 35 days to "Captain America 2"
• 1,057 days left of "Hope and Change"
165 years ago . . . In 1849, the first ship full of greedy GOLD RUSHERS arrived in San Francisco.
160 years ago . . . In 1854, fifty people opposed to slavery met at a schoolhouse in Ripon, Wisconsin, and formed what went on to become the REPUBLICAN PARTY.
38 years ago . . . In 1976, the CAPTAIN & TENNILLE won the Grammy for Best Record with "Love Will Keep Us Together" . . . even though IT WAS A LIE!!! PAUL SIMON won Best Album for "Still Crazy After All These Years", and the Best New Artist was former heroin-whore NATALIE COLE.
36 years ago . . . In 1978, PHILIP AHN, who WAS Master Kan on "KUNG FU", died at the age of 72.
35 years ago . . . In 1979, MR. ED died. Why the long face? OH SCREW YOU!
31 years ago . . . In 1983, at the end of its 11th season, the final episode of "M*A*S*H" aired on CBS. The special two-and-a-half-hour finale was watched by a record 125 million people.
30 years ago . . . In 1984, MICHAEL JACKSON won a record EIGHT Grammy awards, including Album of the Year for "THRILLER" and Record of the Year for "BEAT IT".
THE POLICE won for Best Song with "Every Breath You Take", and CULTURE CLUB won Best New Gay Artist!
28 years ago . . . In 1986, TRAGEDY STRUCK WHEN WHAM! ANNOUNCED THEY WERE BREAKING UP! GEORGE MICHAEL went on to have a brilliant solo career . . . in more ways than one.
28 years ago . . . In 1986, "PRETTY IN PINK" WAS RELEASED . . . STARRING MOLLY RINGWALD. (She has "the fire down below" ya know.)
25 years ago . . . In 1989, "COACH", starring CRAIG T. NELSON, debuted on ABC. It lasted until 1997.
21 years ago . . . In 1993, a 51-day standoff in Waco, Texas, began after four federal agents and six Branch Davidians were killed as agents tried to serve warrants to DAVID KORESH and his followers.
18 years ago . . . In 1996, SEAL won the Grammys for Record and Song of the Year with "Kiss from a Rose". ALANIS MORISSETTE won four awards, including Best Rock Album and Album of the Year for "Jagged Little Pill".
PEARL JAM won Best Hard-Rock Performance for "SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE", and HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH were named Best New Artist.
Nine years ago . . . In 2005, 50 Cent kicked The Game out of his G-Unit . . . AND GUNFIRE WAS THE RESULT. Game did not die.
Two years ago . . . In 2012, the remains of a five foot tall prehistoric penguin were identified by scientists in New Zealand. Eat it, Mr. Popper. (???)