Widespread Power Outages Hit Downtown Detroit
Power outages are being reported across downtown Detroit this morning, including fire houses, schools, jails, and the Third Judicial Circuit courthouse.
The murder trial of Bob Bashara was abruptly halted after the lights flickered and went out. People are evacuating the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice via the stairwells.
Detroit Fire Department dispatchers are checking with stations across the area to determine whether their garage doors were open before the power went out. A number of them are on generator power, according to Detroit Fire dispatch radio traffic.
Affected buildings that we know of so far are:
- The Detroit Police Department's 1st Precinct
- Wayne State University
- People Mover
- Detroit Receiving Hospital (Using generator power)
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Frank Murphy Hall of Justice (Evacuated)
- City County building (Closed for the day)
- City street lights
- Several fire houses
- All Detroit Public Schools are dismissing early
Reports of the outages began flooding the radio waves shortly after 10:30 a.m. today.