This Highly Toxic And Invasive Plant Has Been Found In Michigan
When you head out into your backyard or the woods in Michigan theres is always a chance that you could stumble upon poison ivy or a tick.
But there is a new danger to keep an eye on for that has found its way to Michigan.
Where Has Poison Hemlock Been Found In Michigan?
The plant has been found in multiple counties throughout the Lower Peninsula, including Allegan, Oakland, and Van Buren counties.
Symptoms of Hemlock Poisoning
Hemlock poisoning is caused by ingesting the poison hemlock plant, which is highly toxic and can be fatal.
Symptoms of hemlock poisoning can appear almost immediately after eating the plant and may include:
- Dilated pupils (mydriasis)
- Excess salivation
- Dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Restlessness or confusion
- Muscle weakness and muscle twitches (myoclonus)
- Tremors and seizures
How Can You Remove Poison Hemlock?
If you find poison hemlock in your yard, you can dig up the plants, including the taproots, for removal.
To prevent the spread of poison hemlock, it is important to remove it as soon as possible.
When removing the plant, you need to wear protective clothing, including gloves, long sleeves, pants, socks, and shoes, to avoid contact with the sap. Be careful not to inhale any of the toxins.
What To Do If You Think You Have Hemlock Poisiong
If you suspect hemlock poisoning, it is important to seek medical attention immediately by calling your healthcare provider or going to the nearest emergency room.
There is no antidote for hemlock poisoning, so treatment will be based on your symptoms and the severity of your condition.