The Fourth of July holiday can be a very fun time, especially when lighting up fireworks with your family, but there is one item that seems to cause the most injuries...sparklers.

According to WMMT, the United States Product Consumer Safety Commission warns the public of the dangers that fireworks can cause, especially when you are not using them correctly.

According to the U.S. Product Consumer Safety Commission, of all the fireworks that people light off during their celebration, it's sparklers that actually cause the largest percentage of injuries each year.

A representative with the U.S. Product Consumer Safety Commission, Ann Marie Buekle said in a release, "a sparkler burns at 2,000 degrees, of all injuries we see, sparklers cause the highest rate of injury."

Buerkel went on to recommend you not allow your young children to play with fireworks - and that includes sparklers. She also said to make sure you never place a body part over a firework and make sure and never shoot aerial fireworks over your head.

Here are a list of tips for when you are lighting fireworks:

  • Keep a bucket of water and or a garden hose nearby in case of fire
  • If you have a dud, just douse it in water and never try and relight it or throw into a fire
  • When lighting fireworks, light them one at a time a move away as fast as you can
  • When you purchase fireworks, never buy fireworks wrapped in brown paper (those are usually meant for professional displays).