Christine Shows You How to Make a Gourmet Grilled Cheese [Video]
It doesn't matter if you're 8 or 80, a grilled cheese sandwich is one of the tastiest and most classic meals in history. What's also great about grilled cheese is that you can elevate it in so many different ways. Why confine it to a slice of American cheese in between two slices of plain bread? That's why I like to take mine to the next level.
In this video, I show you just one of the ways I make a gourmet grilled cheese. If you're a know-it-all *ahem, Steve* I acknowledge it's technically a "melt" but this is my sandwich and my kitchen so I'm calling it what I want!
When it comes to the cheese, I recommend going out of your comfort zone and finding something with a zing to it to add that extra flavor. I've used everything from pepper jack, to Colby jack, to muenster cheese, or even mixed cheeses! The last time I was at the grocery store I found a Gouda Tomato Olive cheese and it sounded very intriguing so that's what I used for this sandwich plus a couple pieces of habanero cheese (yay for spicy) to kick it up a notch.
Just like the cheese, the bread you use is all about personal preference. I've had from sweet to savory to whole grain, but my favorite is the brioche toast sold at Trader Joe's.
At this point you can call it a day and be done with your sandwich but if you want to take it to the next level that's when you incorporate the veggies. Again, this is all based on what you like or what you may have in your kitchen. I always like to use onions and peppers and grill those before placing it on top of the cheese, but you can also add jalapeños, tomatoes, zucchini... whatever you like!
Once you've got your sandwich assembled, just cook it as normal, cut it in half, dip into tomato soup and enjoy!
Christine's Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipe:
- Chop or slice onions
- Chop or slice pepper(s) (I use the multicolored ones)
- Chop or slice tomato
- Mix veggies and lightly grill them with olive oil (I used Herbs de Provence olive oil for extra flavor)
- While veggies are cooking in the pan, spread butter and/or mayo on each slide of bread
- Use cracked black pepper on the buttered side of bread
- *optional* sprinkle dried or fresh rosemary (or any other herb - thyme, oregano, Italian seasoning, etc)
- Place one slice of bread in the pan
- Place cheese on bread
- Scoop up grilled veggies and place them on top of the cheese
- Place other slice of bread on top
- Flip sandwich to let other side cook
- Wait for cheese to melt
- Cut in half
- Enjoy 🙂
How do you like to make your grilled cheese? Let's trade recipes!