Committee of Karens Might Ruin Michigan Fireworks Fun, With Law
Fireworks have always been the American way of celebrating Independence Day. Michiganders do the same thing other states do. Celebrate on all the days around the holiday, and now, any holiday or occasion you can think of.. as long as the weather cooperates. Now, a bunch of "Karens" want to ruin fireworks, too.
Why are people trying to change Michigan's fireworks laws?
It turns out, fireworks make noise??? That's lost on some folks, I guess. Now, the Michigan Senate wants to reduce the number of days fireworks cannot be restricted by local ordinances from 12-13 days to 8-9 according to a report from MLive.
Current days Michigan Law states it's acceptable to do fireworks until 11:45pm:
- December 31 until 1:00 a.m. on January 1
- The Saturday and Sunday before Memorial Day, until 11:45 p.m.
- June 29 to July 4, until 11:45 p.m.
- July 5, if it falls on a Friday or Saturday, until 11:45 p.m.
- The Saturday and Sunday before Labor Day, until 11:45 p.m.
- Violations could mean a $1,000 fine.
Under the proposed new law:
- The Fourth of July window would decrease to July 3rd and 4th until 11:45pm.
- Local governments would be able to create restrictions after 11pm on many more days MLive reports.
- Local governments with population density of 3400 residents per square mile would also be able to set tighter restrictions on days the state doesn't regulate.
- Up to double the previous $1,000 fine.
Sure, it gets annoying kids or pets freak out, but is this who we want to be? The society that restricts "fun" and celebration? It's like death by 1,000 paper cuts.
What can we do? Get involved in our city governments by showing up at meetings to offer constructive input. Run for office, vote, of course. Just don't show up and be a jerk or "Karen." We have plenty. Talk to your neighbor if they're bothering you. Don't ruin it for the entire state.