Lake Michigan Beaches Among 19 Across State Closed Due To High Bacteria
Heavy rainfall across the state over the past 10 days has caused the closure of 19 beaches & lakes across the State of Michigan, including two of Lake Michigan's most popular beaches.
The two beaches in West Michigan that are currently closed are both in Allegan County. Currently, both Oval Beach in Saugatuck and Laketown Beach in Laketown Township are red-flagged due to concerns over high bacteria levels. The bacteria spikes are believed to be the result of heavy rains and runoff in West Michigan.
The beaches were flagged as part of the Michigan Beachguard system. Beachguard a public resource provided by Michigan DEQ for information on Michigan beach water quality sampling results and beach advisories and closures.
Three beaches in Grand Traverse County were also flagged by the system as having a high count of potentially dangerous bacteria, including beaches at Sunset Park & the TC Senior Center on the West Bay and Traverse City State Park on the East Bay.
Here is the complete list of beaches currently under advisories across the state:
- Park Lake - Bath Township Park, Lake Beach Clinton County
- Crooked Lake - Independence Oaks County Park, Oakland County
- Ross Lake - Beaverton City Park, Gladwin County
- Saginaw Bay-Lake Huron - Brissette Beach Township Park, Bay County
- Saginaw Bay-Lake Huron - South Linwood Beach Township, Park Bay County
- Lake Michigan - Laketown Township Park, Allegan County
- Lake Michigan - Oval Beach, Allegan County
- Kiwassee Lake - Stratford Woods Park Beach, Midland County
- Cedar River - Gladwin City Park, Gladwin County
- Houghton Lake - Denton Township Public Beach, Roscommon County
- Pike Bay at Portage Canal / Lake Superior - Chassell Beach, Houghton County
- Handsome Lake - Crossroads For Youth, Oakland County
- Pontiac Lake - Pontiac Recreation Area, Oakland County
- Cass Lake - Willow Beach St (Keego Harbor), Oakland County
- Walnut Lake - Bloomfield Square Beach Association, Oakland County
- Lake St. Clair - St. Clair Shores Memorial Park Beach, Macomb County
- Grand Traverse Bay-East - Traverse City State Park, Grand Traverse County
- Grand Traverse Bay-West - Sunset Park, Grand Traverse County
- Grand Traverse Bay-West - Senior Center, Grand Traverse County