Grand Haven Named No. 2 ‘Best Freshwater Beach in the U.S.’
Grand Haven State Park held the lead for quite a bit... but somehow, just got edged out and ended up the No. 2 Best Freshwater Beach in the U.S. according to a USA Today and 10 Best Poll.
Michigan did have the most beaches in the running, though, with six beaches among the 20 that readers could choose from.
Here's USA Today's and 10 Best's praise for Grand Haven State Park:
In the Caribbean, they have sand-floor nightclubs. In Michigan, they have sand-floor state parks – as in all 48 acres are covered with it. Scenic views of Lake Michigan, the Grand Haven pier and the lighthouse are but a few of its highlights, along with picnic areas, playgrounds, camping and beach walking – not mention myriad aquatic pursuits. Off-season visits bring with them wind and waves, making for picturesque – if blustery – photo-ops."
The other Michigan beaches that were up for the honor are:
- Lake Michigan Beach Park, Empire
- Clinch Park Beach, Traverse City
- Peterson Roach Beach, Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Sand Point Beach, Pictured Rocks
- Twelvemile Beach, Picture Rocks
Here's USA Today and 10 Best's Top Ten Freshwater Beaches:
- Presque Isle State Park - Erie, Penn.
- Grand Haven State Park - Grand Haven, Mich.
- Park Point Beach - Duluth, Minn.
- North Beach - Racine, Wis.
- West Beach - Indiana Dunes, Ind.
- Oak Street Beach - Chicago
- Huntington Beach - Cleveland
- Bradford Beach - Milwaukee
- Lake Michigan Beach Park - Empire, Mich.
- Sand Point Beach - Munising, Mich.