Independence Day Fun Facts!
As Americans celebrate 235 years of Independence today ... we can also stand proud as the Statue of Liberty turns 125 this year!
If you dig history and fun facts like I do ... read on:
Our 30th President, Calvin Coolidge, was born in Vermont on July 4th, 1872.
- Two people actually signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 including John Hancock and Charles Thompson. Most of the rest signed on August 2nd, but the last signature was not added until five years later.
- Fifty-six people signed the Declaration of Independence.
- The Revolutionary War ended in 1783.
- The stripes on the flag mean represent the 13 original colonies/states and each star was displayed in a circle so no one state would be above the other!
- Here's a great FYI ... is it ever appropriate to fly the flag upside down?
Yes, but only in an emergency. It means "Help Me, I am in Trouble!"
- And finally, a vexillologist is an expert in the history of flags.