How to Keep Your Pets Safe this Halloween
First off, meet my pet of the week, Donnie a 3-month-old black lab mix puppy who will be available for adoption soon at the Humane Society of West Michigan. He's got tons of energy and loves attention. He'll be a great addition to any home.
Consider obedience classes for Donnie since he is a puppy. The HSWM offers a variety of classes for different behaviors. Get more info here.
Halloween Safety for Pets:
Keep your pets safe this Howl-o-ween with some of these helpful tips:
- Not all pets enjoy wearing costumes. For those that do, be sure that costumes do not obstruct vision, breathing, or make walking difficult.
- Leave pets safely at home. Even the most confident, well-mannered pets may become stressed in the presence of trick or treaters and their costumes.
- Keep all candy and treats out of reach! Chocolate, artificial sweeteners, wrappers and more can be deadly to our pets. If you believe your pet has ingested anything they shouldn't have, contact the Emergency Veterinary Hospital in your area. You may also call the ASPCA Poison Control Center for help at (888) 426-4435.
- Keep dogs and cats in a separate room, away from the front door so they can't dart out.
- Keep decorations and any wires away.
- Make sure your pets have proper identification.
Hot Cider Hustle (11/9, 7 am-12 pm)
HSWM is excited to participate in this year's Grand Rapids Hot Cider Hustle! If 35 volunteers sign up for the event, the race will make a donation to HSWM! Volunteers must stay for the entire shift. Grab your friends and get ready to enjoy some cider and fall weather for a good cause!